This tutorial explains how to fix “Android fails to format SD card”. We will do our best for you to understand this guide. I hope you will like this blog, How to Fix “Android Fails to Format SD Card”. If your answer is yes, please share after reading this.
Check how to fix “Android fails to format SD card” issue
Your Android can’t format an SD card? This is a common error not only on Android but also on other platforms. Unfortunately, this usually means that your SD card hardware will start to fail and you risk losing data. On the plus side, it still works in most cases, and as long as you haven’t saved any important data to an SD card, you should be fine. When you get the error Android cannot format SD card, it often happens because the SD card is already formatted with a file system that it does not recognize or the SD card is no longer writable.
SD cards have a lower write density than other forms of storage, which means that all SD cards eventually become unreadable after a period of use and then unreadable some time later. If you’ve encountered this error, it’s probably time to start looking for a replacement. However, you can still take action to continue using the card or recover your data in the meantime. Let’s see how you can do the first one.
Fix “Android cannot format SD card” issue
Restart your Android
If you’ve been using an Android smartphone for a while, you might know that a simple restart can fix most Android issues. Sometimes some apps or processes saved in SD card were loading in the background causing Android not to format SD card. So, before trying anything else, make sure to restart your Android and check if the formatting process continues or not.
Check memory card on computer
If you still cannot format your memory card after the reset, you need to check the card on a computer/laptop. First, check whether your PC reads the memory card or not. If it does not read the memory card, it could be a sign of damage. You should remove the memory card and clean it with a cotton swab or other soft object in such a case. Once clean, reinsert the memory card and format it.
Format using the computer
If you can’t format memory card or SD card from Android, you can try to format it with computer. Formatting USB devices or SD cards with a computer is a simple process. Just follow some of the simple steps below.
- Connect your memory card to PC using a card reader or connect your smartphone via USB cable. Remember that your SD card must appear on the computer so that you can work on it later.
- Once your SD card is properly connected to the computer (Windows), go to My Computer. Right-click on the SD card and select the “Format” option.
- You will see that the Format windows will appear on the screen with many options. Select the “FAT32” file system, then click the “Format” button.
Remove write protection
Well, write protection could be another possible reason why Android won’t format SD card. So, if that was the problem then you need to remove the write protection from the memory card. To remove write protection, you must use the command prompt.
- First, connect your SD card or memory card to the computer, then open CMD. To open CMD, click Start and select CMD. Now at the command prompt, type “Diskpart” and press Enter.
- Now you have to type ‘list disk’
- You will now see the attached storage device. Select the disk number associated with your SD card. Type ‘select disk 1’ (replace Disk 1 with the disk number associated with the SD card)
- In the final step, type “wipe read-only disk attributes”.
Final Words: How to Fix “Android Fails to Format SD Card” Issue
Hope you understand this article, How to Fix “Android Fails to Format SD Card”. If your answer is no, you can ask anything through the contact forum section linked to this article. And if your answer is yes, share this article with your friends and family to show your support.