the 2022 NFL Playoffs are underway and Super Bowl 2022 is right around the corner! NBC Sports has you covered with everything you need to know about this year’s playoffs, including the format, Appointment, locations, how overtime works, how to watch news, and more.
How does the 2022 NFL playoffs work? What is the format this year?
A total of 14 teams – seven from each conference – will participate make the playoffs this year. The top seed in each conference — the Green Bay Packers in the NFC and the Tennessee Titans in the AFC — has a bye to the divisional round. The previous format had 12 teams (6 from each conference) and allowed two teams from each conference to have first-round byes. As a result, there are now two additional games on the Wild Card weekend.
Which teams are in the NFL Playoffs this year?
Here are the fourteen teams competing in this year’s playoffs:
Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs, Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, Las Vegas Raiders, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dallas Cowboys, Los Angeles Rams, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers and Philadelphia Eagles.
See below for the 2022 NFL Playoffs bracket and games.
The ground for the #NFLPlayoffs is defined.
What game are you looking forward to? pic.twitter.com/HjvgDpgQyp
— #SuperWildCard Weekend on NBC (@SNFonNBC) January 10, 2022
How does overtime work in the NFL playoffs?
Here are the official NFL OT rules for the NFL playoffs, including the Super Bowl:
- If the score is still tied at the end of an overtime period – or if the second team’s initial possession has not ended – the teams will play another overtime period. Play will continue regardless of how many more periods it takes for a winner to be determined.
- There will be a two-minute break between each overtime period. There will be no half-time intermission after the second period.
- The captain who lost the first toss in extra time will choose to either own the ball or select which goal their team will defend, unless the team that won the toss postpones that choice.
- Each team gets three timeouts during a half.
- The same timing rules that apply at the end of the second and fourth regulation periods also apply at the end of a second or fourth overtime period.
- If there is still no winner at the end of a fourth overtime period, there will be another coin toss and play will continue until a winner is declared.
When does the 2022 NFL playoffs start?
The Wild Card weekend will take place on saturday january 15, Sunday January 16 and monday january 17 with six games in total. The division round will take place on saturday 22 january and Sunday January 23. The conference championships will be held on Sunday January 30 with the winners qualifying for the Super Bowl. Click here for a full schedule with match times and information on how to watch.
When is Super Bowl 2022?
Super Bowl 56 will take place on Sunday February 13 at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, California.
To verify ProFootballTalk to learn more about the 2022 NFL Playoffs along with game previews, picks, recaps, news, rumors and more.